spring romper

March is here and while some people are feeling the first signs of Spring, I feel like the weather has been the same here in Baton Rouge since January. Every now and then we have a cold day, but for the most part, it's been pretty nice here. The down side, no cute winter clothes. The up side, we get to spend more time outside, which keeps me and my toddler both a lot happier.

Now that we are approaching months where it will just continue to warm up until it's unbearably hot, I am starting to think about all the spring and summer patterns I want to sew. Plus, there are so many fun fabrics out there in all sorts of spring and summer colors. 

While I dream about all of those things, I decided I needed to save some money and use up some more of the fabrics I have on hand. I've been gifted a lot of fabrics from family and friends and every time I pull out a new pattern, I've been able to put bits and pieces of them together. 

However, this time I went rogue. I didn't use a pattern. There were ups and downs to this decision. The upside was that I had a dream for an outfit and I was able to make it happen without being limited to pattern options and instructions. The downside is that I am still learning how to put together an outfit just from measurements and this one may only last us a month (or a week) depending on how much more my baby girl grows this season.


All in all though, I really love this outfit. The fabrics are perfect. Cute, but also sturdy and ready for playtime. I love that it's all one piece and I also love the ease of just tying up the straps. Although, A wasn't a huge fan of those ties, so next time, I might just do snaps or buttons.




While I was thinking about this one, I had a lot of time to think about what I want out of the clothing I make for my daughter and why I love creating it myself. I adore all of the cute baby clothes I see, but some of them just aren't practical for our lifestyle or her age right now. Yes, I will make her some cute dresses for holidays and special occasions, but for everyday I like cute and practical. To me, this means something that she can move in easily, something that is easy to get on and off, and something that is easy to care for. In making her clothes, I love that I can take all of those things and then find a pattern and fabric that also make it cute and fun. Because let's face it, right now I get to make all her clothing decisions, but it won't always be that way.


What do you look for in your child's clothing? Do you feel like it has changed over time as your kids get older?

Coming up soon, I'll be sharing some Easter inspiration as well as the latest thing I made for myself!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts