top 5 sewing tutorials for beginners

Hey guys! While I am in between projects (aka on vacation!) I thought I would share a post with some links that were helpful for me as I started learning to sew.

I am going to share with you the top 5 blog posts that were helpful for me as a beginner sewer and that I think everyone should check out when they are first starting.


1. First, I'm sharing Dana Willard's post "How to Sew". This is one of the first videos I watched and it was very helpful. I knew some of the information before, but if you're a total beginner, you need to watch this video! After you watch it, be sure to check out her other videos. Once you get familiar with your machine, you're going to want to sew everything she shows you!


2. Next, I think you should just sew something! The best way to get the hang of it and gain confidence is to make something. I would recommend going to Melanie Ham's blog and going through her tutorial for an infinity scarf. It's super simple, requires minimal fabric and it's something you can always use! 

3. If you started sewing because you have some really practical things you need to do, like make your clothes fit better, check out Melly Sews. Something I think we can all agree on is that we'd like our clothes to fit us! I recently read through her tutorial on hemming jeans and it helped me with my recent project to make all my jeans fit the way I wanted. Check out this post to find out how to keep your hem looking like the original!


4. If you're wanting to sew for your new baby, hop on over to Sew Much Ado and check out her tutorial for a Peplum top. It's really cute and it doesn't involve zippers or buttons or anything so it's a great beginner project. Plus, it's in a knit fabric which makes it great for getting it on and off easily. She has a free pattern available in 12-18 month size! 


5. Lastly, for those of you who want to sew for your home in order to get the exact look your going for, try this tutorial for an envelope pillow cover from Delia Creates. I love making these because you can easily make "seasonal" pillow covers by getting the fabric you want and slipping these on and off all of your throw pillows throughout the year!


There you have it! 5 beginner tutorials for whatever kind of sewing you want to do! Be sure to browse all of these sites for more great tutorials. These are definitely ones that I visit over and over when I need help with something! 




Comments

Popular Posts