little red gingham

This is by far my favorite thing I have made so far. I want to dress A in gingham all the time. I think it's so cute! I really wanted to make a dress with a little peter pan collar, but I didn't have the right supplies or the "know-how" yet, so I found another option.

I found this free pattern from Shwin and Shwin for a holiday dress. I liked that it had long sleeves since it's getting colder and I really liked the layers. I didn't really want a dress though, so I decided to follow the pattern, except for the "skirt" length, and made it more of a layered peplum/tunic top.

I also just used one fabric and I didn't do a lining (*gasp*). I didn't have enough fabric to do that, so I just went for it. In the future I'll plan to do a lining.

This was another great project for me to practice making bias tape to finish the neckline and installing the zipper. It also required me to do a lot of gathering. I sewed both of the skirt pieces together and then gathered them until they fit the bodice and then sewed the skirt pieces to the bodice. It was easier than I thought it would be, but it took a few tries to get the gathers in place.




I absolutely love how this one turned out! And I love how versatile this pattern can be. I envision using it again in the spring and summer and doing a short sleeve or sleeveless option!




Comments

Popular Posts