12.10.2016

reindeer romper

I recently came across this free pattern from Elegance and Elephants for a pleated play suit in a pants length! As soon as I saw it I knew that's what I wanted to make with the reindeer print fabric I had picked up from Joann.


I want to say that this playsuit was really difficult. I don't think it was actually all that difficult, but I think that I should have had another cup of coffee before working on it.

I started it during Addison's afternoon nap. I got all the way through the bodice portion which involved making straps, making a pleat in the front, and attaching the straps and facing. All went smoothly.


I had to wait to finish the rest until she went to bed.

I eagerly got started on the pants portion. I was flying through it. I added the pocket lining, then the pocket, then I sewed up the inseam.


Then, I realized there was a problem. I had put the pockets on the bottom of the pants instead of at the waist.

Or, at least that's what I thought. I couldn't believe it. I was 10 PM. I was hoping to spend about 30 minutes finishing it up and get to bed at a decent hour.

I was up till 1 AM. I took the entire pants portion apart before realizing I hadn't actually done anything wrong. I just wasn't paying attention. I spent hours ripping out every seam, and it wasn't even necessary. I ripped so many seams that night, that I almost gave up on even finishing. I called it quits at that point and decided to finish the rest in the morning.

The next morning I added the cuffs to the bottom of the pants and gave it a quick iron.


I feel like I could have made two full outfits in the time I spent ripping seams and then re-sewing the exact same thing over and over, but it's okay. It will teach me to pay a little closer attention and not rush my work.

I still love the finished results. Ideally, they pocket lining should have been a contrasting color fabric, but I didn't have anything, so they don't pop as much visually, but they are still cute and I can't wait for Addison to figure out that she can put stuff inside of them!


I think this is perfect for the "cold" weather we have because you can easily put a turtleneck or some other long sleeve shirt or onesie underneath!

There's no snaps in the pants but you can easily pull it down for diaper changes. The pattern does say that you can use snaps, but I didn't have any, so I might try that in the future.


I used the 12-18 month size, but I used the 12 month length. The pattern also shows you how to make it a "short" length, so I'll definitely pull this one back out come springtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment